Wednesday, August 10, 2011

more new food!

I've tried lots of new foods in the past few days as well! On Tuesday, I ordered the "Greek salad" at a small cafe called Biskvitas, which is very close to campus. I recognized the words for feta, olives and tomatoes, but not the word for smoked salmon! I was a bit shocked when the plate was set in front of me, but it was all very good! The little swan looking apparatus at the top of the plate is to squeeze lemon juice on the salad - yum!

These are some new friends, John and Bethany, who have been taking me to many of their favorite restaurants around town. I went with them to eat Thai on Sunday, and today we tried to get burgers at lunch time, but the restaurant didn't have beef. John and Bethany think that maybe I jinxed our order by taking pictures beforehand....

So we went to a different restaurant for fajitas, which is an uncommon phenomenon here in Lithuania - not many places have Mexican food. They were messy and juicy but oh so yummy! (And I waited till the food came to take a picture!)


Tonight Alex and I went to Levi's apartment next door for dinner, and I attempted to make bread for the first time since arriving. I made a quick yeast bread (which is kind of an oxymoron), but I've been wanting to try the recipe for a while. It was super easy! Not quite the quality of Rachel's, but not bad either....
 
And lastly, in honor of Rachel's, I had my first chocolate bandele (roll) tonight as well. Again, the rolls here are not like traditional French croissants, but you can't go wrong with chocolate!

3 comments:

  1. Yum! That chocolate roll looks good! And yea for exciting salmon surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow-it all looks so good! The fajitas were what intrigued me--what kind of meat is in the picture? Also, I love the swan for squeezing lemons--what is it made of? looks like glass or plastic. Does it truly work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. the meat is chicken, and the swan was made of plastic. it worked great, actually!

    ReplyDelete