Tuesday, August 2, 2011

angliskai?

today i did a lot of exploring the town of Klaipeda and have some everyday facts about Lithuania to share (of course w/ pictures!)

Fact 1: Don't walk in the bike lanes! In this picture, the parking lot and one of the LCC buildings are on the right. On the sidewalk, people are waiting for the bus, and the red brick part of the sidewalk is reserved for bikes. I've been told that people get mad if you walk in the bike lane, so it's something I've been trying to remember, although it doesn't come naturally yet. I love that people here walk or bike much more than in America - and here there's bike lanes and sidewalks almost everywhere!!!

Fact 2: This perfect weather won't last long! I walked around the old town part of Klaipeda as well with Susie today, and we saw this beautiful photo opportunity. We sat down for a while at a cafe with outside seating, and enjoyed walking along the cobblestone streets and stopping in the occasional shop. Today was such a beautiful day for a walk! Almost everyone I meet at LCC tells me to ENJOY the weather right now, because the winters are so long. So I'm doing my best to soak in the less humid weather! (Sorry Indiana, I don't miss you right now!) :)

Fact 3: How to ask if someone speaks English and convert Litas to USD. I stopped at these roadside vegetable stands on my way home today, and made my first purchases without an interpreter or someone who knows the ropes. I had to say "Angliskai?" a lot (pronounced "Ahnglishkay"), and the vendors were able to type out my totals on their calculators. I bought 3 tomatoes, 4 mini cucumbers, garlic and onion. Everything cost me about 8 litas, which is about $3.20. (Multiply 8 by 4, and then move the decimal place one to the left).

I'm learning so many new things every day! By next week I'll be working full time, so I'm trying to experience and get oriented as much as I can right now!





3 comments:

  1. Whoo hoo! Loving the blog - did someone I know help set that up? ;)

    Glad you're enjoying the weather. It's hot and miserable here, but that's coming from Mr "it's too hot" whiner pants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, your lovely wife did - she's great! well, you could go to the chief or something to cool off - although maybe not by walking.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I checked out the weather for Klaipeda and it was just under 70F. which is definitely perfect. We actually got a rain here last night, albeit 1/2 inch, but it was down to 72F this morning! Mostly it's been 80F for a low and highs in the 105F range. Also, saw that Klaipeda is a huge port city and the only ice free port for Lithuania all year. You will have lots of pictures of ships no doubt!

    ReplyDelete