Saturday, November 2, 2013

Tallinn #1

This past week I took a trip to Tallinn, the capital of Estonia for 5 days during LCC's fall break. I went by myself because my other plans fell through less than one week before, and so I actually had to take pictures myself! :) Here's the first round...


This is the awesome little attic room where I stayed. It was small but cozy, and I enjoyed lots of sleep and reading at night after long days of walking and seeing the sights.

Here is a picture of Old Town from one of the great viewing points. You can see St. Nicholas' church on the left - it is not used for worship anymore, but for concerts and as an art gallery. 

One of the most famous artworks in St. Nicholas' church is Danse Macabre. Here you can see the priest, Death playing the bagpipes, Death carrying a coffin, the emperor  and another Death holding his hand. The painting represents how death unites/is common to everyone, and that we should remember how our earthly life is fragile and fleeting.

This is a dragon on top of the Town Hall, along with the blue, black and white flag of Estonia. The dragon is supposed to keep the politicians from corruption.

This is one of the delicious meals I had: corn frittata with ratatouille...

and lime and white chocolate cake! (Like cheesecake with white chocolate poured on top.)

And another meal: handmade pasta with salmon, tomato and snap peas, with a creamy pesto sauce.





No comments:

Post a Comment