Wednesday, November 30, 2011

sweet potato

A few days ago, I was given a sweet potato from a friend who went to visit Vilnius, the capital of Lithuania. I know that doesn't sound too exciting, but I have not eaten any sweet potatoes since I left the US - they are uncommon here - and I have missed them very much! So, I debated for a long time what to do with it.... Should I roast it in the oven? Put it into soup or curry? I finally decided to do cook a vegetable curry that my previous housemates and I used to make frequently. It has carrots, onion, garlic, pepper, sweet potato, spices, orange juice, almonds, raisins, chickpeas, zucchini and spinach. Tonight I reserved some time for myself to cook this meal and savor eating it. I thoroughly enjoyed the sweet flavors of the sweet potato, raisins and orange juice along with the spicy taste of curry and hot chili powder, and the crunch of the nuts. SO GOOD! I'm excited to have some leftovers too!

Sorry about the sideways picture! I bought frozen spinach since it's not fresh/in season in the store anymore, and it comes in portioned "nuggets" - quite exciting!

The final product - the cubes of orange are the sweet potato

3 comments: